First Thoughts on The Winter Soldier

While I normally wait until I've gotten the DVD in my sticky little hands before I give a review on something, I think an unofficial review will work just as well. Then we can compare it later.

I got a chance to go see The Winter Soldier today and have a few thoughts on it.


Pros:

The cast was back and banging. I think everyone here did a pretty good job. I normally don't care about car chases because they're a little overdone, but Sam Jackson knocks it out of the park with the help of a high-tech SUV. The fight sequences were pretty amazing too, especially between Steve and Bucky. The storyline and pacing were pretty well done. There was room for some exposition so it gave you a nice break from the action, but you weren't bored for too long. I think the real star of the movie is Bucky's metal arm. That thing was amazing. It took me a minute to notice, but it's not your typical robotic prosthetic. It's actually contoured into the super-buff shape of his other arm. Plus, shiny. Like shiny. It also comes complete with all the robot noises they've been using since the 80s which I kind of appreciate, but it's a little more swish. Uptown robot arm.

Cons:

Let's start with the first thing I noticed: Black Widow. Now, I like Scarlet as Natasha and I get that she's a little tight-lipped, but I'm starting to feel that Scarlet is the new Kristen Stewart. She's playing the same monotonous characters again and again. Also, while I'm glad they didn't try to make her too much of a love interest here, the hints were there. Man, we don't need it. Promise. She's cooler when she's just kicking ass.

Actually, the whole movie felt a little like that. It took me until after the film to figure out why - no Joss Whedon. Thor and Captain America were cool movies until the Avengers came out. Now, everything will be compared to the Avengers because it felt like a better movie. There was more humanity, more humor, more emotions full stop than any of the other movies put together. It's hard watching anyone else handle these characters now. This was especially noticeable with Black Widow, though you could still see hints of it with Fury and Steve.

***

Overall it was exciting and I won't mind seeing it again. We've got a Black Widow movie confirmed, so that should give us enough of a chance to see her outside her limited rolls in the previous films. There's also a good chance for a Hawkeye movie, plus another Avengers. For now, I'll be fine with the previous Avengers until I can watch The Winter Soldier again free on Netflix because I won't be paying for it again. 
Powered by Blogger.